Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Raising Good Kids

(Handsome and Angel with a couple of their cousins)

How do I raise good kids? 

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. Not that I didn't think about it before and try to be a good mother, but I think I've finally realized that it's ok that I'm not perfect at being a mother. God does not expect me to be perfect at it, no one is perfect at it. In fact, part of my being here on earth is to learn through experience.

The thought struck me the other day, almost like a bolt of lightning, that it was ok to go to others and other resources for help. Odd that something like that would be such a revelation, but I think that I got so caught up thinking about the fact that I was failing so miserably in many areas of motherhood that I filled my life with so many distractions - in order to avoid the anxiety of it all.

Funny how something like being diagnosed with cancer would finally help me to understand, but it truly has. I've just recently stumbled upon (or really I should say I've been guided to) some excellent parenting resources. I'm sure they were there all along, but finally I'm seeing them. My heart has truly changed and I'm seeing and experiencing so much more fully - the absolute joy in being a mother!

Here is an awesome article I found that just completely struck a chord with me and my feelings on parenthood: Five Things We Know For Sure About Raising Great Kids What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment