Sunday, April 8, 2012

A new meaning to Easter




Easter. It's meaning for me has evolved  over the years.

It started out to be just all about the candy. I know my mother's efforts to help me see greater meaning were there – but my childlike excitement of Easter Egg hunts and eating my way to a sugar-induced coma – won over for awhile.

Then gradually as I matured, the meaning of Easter became more. I began to understand the deeper meaning and the celebration of our Savior, His life and resurrection. As years past, it's meaning stretched into understanding of the atonement, repentance, and becoming more Christlike.

One year, I distinctly remember, the message of Easter was very much the message of strength. Strength beyond my own. Strength, clarity, peace, and wisdom beyond my own. The strength that comes as we ask and allow the atonement to help us do things that left to ourselves we would not be able to do. Strength that can lift us, even in our most darkest hours. I learned a lot that Easter.

I was to a point that I thought that I had learned all that Easter was about, all that the atonement offers.

Life was good. Very good. My worries were small, life's obstacles easily resolved, and I felt almost guilty to have things so well. And as much as I'm sure Heavenly Father was happy to see my family and I so happy.....he knew it was time.......

Time for me to grow.

And so this Easter has brought yet another meaning. I am beginning to learn about yet another aspect of the atonement and the Savior's love for each of us.

I would be lying if I did not say that many tears have been shed since that first day that my doctor's nurse called me. I have cried at first out of fear and worry. At other times the tears came when the “what if's” have crept into my mind.

But overall, an amazing thing has happened. Amongst all the worry and struggle that naturally comes with news like this, an even more powerful feeling has come into my life. An overwhelming amount of calmness has come to my spirit and mind. I have felt the spirit more intensely that I have ever before felt. The spirit has told me that “no matter what happens – everything will be ok.”

And that is the new meaning that Easter has brought this year. That through the Savior's atonement, I can be calm and at ease in a time when I could so easily feel like my world was crashing in on me. And that ultimately through the resurrection, “no matter what happens, everything will be ok.”

I will be forever grateful for my Heavenly Father and for my brother Jesus Christ, for caring so deeply for me and for strengthening me in my time of need.  

Image Credit: lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment